Waiting for your interview to begin? There would be a flurry of thoughts going through your head. You would be both excited and nervous and this could lead you to do things that can potentially affect your interview even before you start one. Well, yes, the impression you create while you’re waiting for your turn can influence the recruiter’s decision. So we give you a list of 5 things you should avoid doing to start your interview on a positive note.
1. Don’t play with your phone – Texting on your phone obsessively or staying on calls will definitely not score good points with your interviewer. Avoid being glued to your phone unless you have an important call at attend.
2. Don’t start reading unrelated stuff – Waiting for your turn might tempt you to pick up a magazine lying at the reception but don’t reach out for one. Use this time wisely to know more about the company. Grab a brochure or feel free to look around the awards/recognition’s on the walls. This will help you get a starting point for a conversation and also show a genuine interest towards the company. Also, avoid picking up a business newspaper or magazine unless you have a genuine interest/knowledge in that field.
3. Don’t start listening to music – Resist the urge to plug in your headphones and listen to some music while you’re waiting for your turn. While your favourite song can help you calm down, it may put a casual disinterested impression. Utilise this time better to go through your documents and ensure your resume/portfolio is in place.
4. Don’t get anxious – Some of us cannot handle stress and often starting walking across the room. Avoid doing this as it will only show your restlessness. Stay composed, take a deep breath and sit back in your chair.
5. Don’t forget about your posture – While you’re seated at the reception, be sure to sit up straight and avoid slouching. Your posture should appear natural, confident, and enthusiastic. If you would not lean back or slouch while inside the interview, there is no reason for you to do it outside.
Stay away from committing these mistakes and you should be all set to make a good impression for your interview.