“The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I’d rather fly.” – Len Morgan
With the increase in purchasing power of the middle-class, aviation industry is gaining more and more importance. According, to the reports published by an aviation industry consulting firm, airports all around the country would receive more than 450 million passengers by 2020. Hence, the opportunity in the aviation sector would also increase.
Want to have a career in aviation industry? Good news! We have 6 exciting career options which would provide you the platform to live your dreams:
1) Commercial Pilot: Are you passionate about flying? The thrill of flying thousand feet above the sea level gives you that kick? Of-course, the job of a commercial pilot is indeed very exciting but very competitive. You have to undergo excessive training and complete an examination to get a commercial pilot license and then start off with any of the domestic airlines like Indigo, Jet Airways and Spice Jet. Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd’s(HAL) Rotary Wing Academy at Bengaluru can be a good place if you want to have a career as a commercial pilot. All you need is a minimum height of 5 feet and 6/6 eyesight. Physics and Maths as your subjects in 10+2 is a must.
2) Air hostess/ Flight steward: Do you have that unending love for flying? If yes, then this is your calling. The duty of airline flight attendant is the security of flight cabin and its travelers. The job involves giving instructions to the passengers on how to use safety measures during crisis, catering foods and drinks to the passengers and answering all the inquiries of passengers on facilities and services. As far as the educational qualification goes you must have completed your 10+2 or a graduate/ diploma degree in hotel management or tourism management. You should be eligible to hold an Indian passport and below twenty five years of age with height and weight in proportion. To add on you should be unmarried with normal eyesight of 6/6. Fluency of English and Hindi is a must plus any added regional language or international language is an added benefit.
3) Air traffic control jobs: It is the duty of air traffic controller to look after the security and the maintain the right movement of the aircraft by providing instructions to the pilots on speed, height and course,climatic conditions and managing unforeseen events, urgent situations and unprepared traffic. To become an Air traffic controller you need to have an engineering degree in electronics / tele communication / radio engineering/ electrical with specialization in electronics with 1st class (60%) or M.Sc degree or its equialent with wireless communication, electronics, radio physics or radio engg. as special subjects. Selection criteria consists of a written test, interview, voice test and medical test.
4) Flight pursuer: On the completion of 3-6 years, on the basis of performance the air hostess/ flight steward is eligible to become a flight pursuer. With change in designation more responsibilities come your way. You are accountable to take over the charge of the on-board cabin-crew. The salary also increases with the change of position.
5) Aircraft maintenance engineers: It is the duty of the engineers to ensure that the aircraft is in perfect condition before take off. You are directly responsible for the safety of passengers on-board. The job includes covering maintenance, repair, trouble shooting and overhaul, in addition to performing inspection and modification on an aircraft. The basic and minimum qualification required to be an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer is a Senior School Certificate with Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics as main subjects. You will be required to undergo a 3-year certificate course on aircraft maintenance engineering, conducted by various training schools approved by the Director-General of Civil Aviation.
6) Aviation doctors: The routine check-up of the pilots, cabin crew as well as additional employees in accordance with the standards of Aviation Medicine as well as the Central Medicine Establishment, both of which are run by the Air Force is what you would be expected to do.
With increase in privatization the future of aviation industry is extremely bright. If you want to try your luck in this sector, don’t wait just, GET, SET and GO.