Good managers are one of the greatest assets to any company. There are a number of qualities essential to become a successful and great manager. Let’s have a look at the 6 essential ingredients needed to become an excellent manager.
- Result-oriented and Self-motivated: Being focused towards the result is an essential ingredient of a good manager. Being result-oriented not only makes you more dedicated and ambitious but also helps you to break records, cross standards and be the best. Having said that, it is very important that you strike a balance. Highly result-oriented managers are more of an individual player and often hate to work as part of a team. You should never forget your goal but work together to achieve it. You can’t motivate others if you cannot motivate yourself. You have to keep yourself moving and motivate the members who work with you. You should have the ability to take charge of the next challenge.
- Transparency: You must know how to speak in a way that is direct, factual and to the point especially when it comes to the bad news. By remaining transparent you will encourage a culture of openness and help in giving meaningful feedback. Always try to avoid sugar-coating things, it won’t help in the long run.
- Mature in handling situations: You should be mature enough to handle any situation with calmness and patience. There will be situations every now and then that you have to take hold of. If you feel frustrated, go out for a walk rather than shouting at your team or losing your cool in the office.
- Flexibility and versatility: Both are valuable qualities of a good manager. You should know that it is not all about you but the team. You must possess the quality to make others comfortable in dealing with change. Have in mind that no two employees are the same and spend the time getting to know what are the challenges faced your team and what is it that motivates them. Ask questions and listen so that an environment of openness is generated where your team members would love to come every day.
- Work with the team: Apart from giving regular feedbacks to your team on their issues, you must help them with implementing the solutions. You must be very clear and realistic when it comes setting and communicating goals. Work with your team and show them how to be successful if they are falling behind and be the best mentor when they need support.
- Produce great talent: The best part of having great managers is that they help in developing great talent. Your focus should not be concentrated only on your growth but on the overall team growth. You must have the capability to get the right people in the right roles at the right time. Motivate, encourage, mentor and listen to your team members whenever they need assistance. Keep in mind to care about the business and the individuals as one can’t exist without the other.
“A manager is not a person who can do the work better than his men, he is a person who can get his men to do the work better than he can”- Frederick Smith