English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the World. And improving skills in communicating English is important for both your personal development and professional growth. Especially if you are residing in India, having a good command over the English language will bring lots of benefits on a day-to-day basis.
Why English Communication Skill is Important
Excelling in English communication can come useful in many ways. Improving your English communication skills can help you land a good job opportunity in or outside India. Besides that, it can help you get admission into World’s top higher education institutions. Communicating effectively in English also helps you when you are traveling to a foreign land above all are the reasons as to why this skill is important, a primary reason is that speaking English effectively gives you the confidence to have long and insightful conversations with a group of people almost anywhere in the World.
Register for AMCAT | India’s Leading Fresher’s Assessment And Job Site (myamcat.com)
How to improve your English Communication Skills
Improving skills may not be a difficult task if you follow the simple steps with persistence and dedication. Find below the steps to improve the skill:
– A basic rule of improving communication is to keep learning new English words. This will help you to comfortably speak for a longer time and on different topics. Always keep a dictionary handy, either on paper or on phone, and whenever you hear an unknown word, search for it in the dictionary to learn the meaning and subsequently practice using that word in a conversation. You can note down the new words and read them from time to time to ensure you remember them. Maintaining a notebook for vocabulary also improves writing skills.
– Search for people around you who have the same zeal as you to improve communication skills. Having a companion with whom you can speak English gives you a good opportunity to practice the skill. With a companion, you not only speak but also listen to the language which improves your pronunciation. It may be possible that you are unable to find such a companion, in that case, we suggest you find an English tutor or make the most of the internet by using google or downloading apps to test your English. Alternatively, participating in public speaking debates also helps to practice the English language.
– Listen more and more. Learn the skill by listening to podcasts, watching movies, tv shows, or news in the English language. Listening not only corrects your pronunciation but also helps you to understand where and how to emphasize and how to use the gap fillers. To identify the correct pronunciation, use online available dictionaries which even give the option to listen to the pronunciation in a slow mode which makes sure you are listening and learning each alphabet correctly.
– Speak the language with confidence. Sometimes even after having good skills, we do not speak with confidence which causes errors in communication. Reading aloud the language to yourself in the mirror increases your confidence. Watching yourself as you speak improves your confidence. Also, the more you practice, the more confidence you gain. While speaking, do not rush to finish and speak every word clearly for the user to listen and understand.
– Pay attention to Body language by bringing it in sync with your communication. Non-verbal communication can sometimes speak louder than words. Appropriately use hand gestures and leg movements depending upon the audience and topic of communication.
– Take out time from your daily routine to improve your skill. Improving communication requires consistent effort and regular practice. The scope to get better at English communication is very wide which requires efforts in different aspects such as vocabulary, pronunciation, rhythm, body language, etc.
It is important to note that practice is key to developing good English communication skills. Speak and listen as much as you can to excel in the skill. Do not take improving English communication skills as a burden. Even native English speakers face issues when communicating. Enjoy the process by keeping up the enthusiasm and curiosity to learn.
- What is the best way to improve English communication skills?
The best way to improve is to practice the skill as much as you can. The tips mentioned above do not work until you practice them on a regular basis. Speak the language as much as you can with your friends and family to get the best result.
- How to learn English speaking at home?
There are many ways you can learn to speak English at home. Start by watching the news, movies, and TV shows in English. While watching, focus on pronunciation and rhythm. After that, start practicing by speaking the language with your Family at home.
- How to speak and write good English?
A better way to speak good English is by reading aloud from books and newspapers. You can choose the topic of your interest and start reading it aloud. To get a much better result, speak in front of the mirror or record yourself. At first, this may seem a bit unusual but will highlight the mistakes you may make when speaking in front of others. Similarly, reading books and newspapers introduces you to English phrases, and vocabulary and improves your writing skill.
- What are the essentials of spoken English?
Improve your vocabulary by learning new words every day and use dictionaries to learn the meaning of new words. Pay attention to grammar and not just fluency by learning the basics of English grammar.
- What is the difference between grammar and spoken English?
Grammar teaches you rules of language in the form of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, interjections, and conjunctions. While spoken English teaches you how to fluently speak the language using correct grammar, rhythm, stress, contractions, and linking.