It’s no secret that a healthy work life balance is not an easy task. All of us are so busy in our lives to achieve “everything” that we sometimes forget living. Being overworked can never do any good as you will not only lose your productivity but also risk your health. Here’s a few things you need to adopt to get that perfect balance in life –
1. Manage your time well – The simplest trick to getting the right work-life balance is to chalk out your priorities. Unless you know what you’re striving for, you will not be able to put your efforts in the right direction. Pull out a calendar and write down all that you want to accomplish in the week – both professional and personal.
“Find your rhythm, understand what makes you resentful, and protect it. You can’t have everything you want, but you can have the things that really matter to you. And thinking that way empowers you to work really hard for a really long period of time.” – Marissa Mayer, President and CEO of Yahoo
2. Avoid multitasking – Multitasking is not your friend. When you overlap too many things, your effort in completing those will double. Try and set a limit for every activity and aim to close it within that stipulated time. Once you can work against the clock, it will be easier for you to meet deadlines – both professional and personal.
3. Take time out for yourself – It is important that you set out some personal time for yourself daily and not leave everything to the weekend. If you do find yourself getting free early on a weekday, do something you like. Spend time with family or meet your friends that you’ve been planning to go with. Even if there is work you need to complete later, find some ‘me’ time that will help you relax and refresh for the say ahead.
“When you don’t sleep, eat crap, don’t exercise, and are living off adrenaline for too long, your performance suffers. Your decisions suffer. Your company suffers. Love those close to you: Failure of your company is not failure in life. Failure in your relationship is.” ― Evan Williams, co-founder of Medium and Twitter
4. Love your job. Many of us treat work like it needs to be done rather than something that we like doing. Look for a job you’re passionate about so that going into work is never an effort. Also, if you’re not one of the lucky ones who love their job, you should still be thankful you have one 🙂 Find out the small things you like at work and make them your motivation to work hard and do well.
5. Find a hobby – Make some time for pursuing a hobby or passion outside of work. Playing a musical instrument or following a sport you love can do wonders for your health and productivity. Don’t think there is never enough time but rather make time for things you want to do. If you weekdays are very hectic, utilize your weekends to pursue a hobby and see the difference.
We’ll leave you with a quote that summarizes it all for you to work towards achieving a healthy work-life balance.
“Don’t confuse having a career with having a life.” ―Hillary Clinton