Before you start with your GATE exam 2019 preparation, you should be well aware of the GATE exam syllabus and how you can best prepare for it. With only three months left for the GATE exam, we are still getting many queries on what is the syllabus of the GATE exam 2019 and what is the exam pattern.
To answer these queries, we have decided to do an entire series on the GATE exam syllabus. And, we are opening this series with the GATE Exam 2019 syllabus for Computer Science.
Computer Science happens to be a very popular field among the GATE Aspirants. However, before we come to the syllabus of your core subject, let’s take a peek at the compulsory sections.
GATE Exam syllabus 2019 for the compulsory sections
The compulsory section of the GATE exam for Computer Science Engineering consists of General Aptitude and Engineering Mathematics. Both these sections hold 15% each of the overall weightage and cannot be treated lightly.
(A). The General Aptitude section is further divided into two parts, Verbal Ability and Numeric Ability.
– Verbal Ability Syllabus
- Sentence Completion
- English Grammar
- Verbal Analogies
- Verbal Deduction
- Word Groups
- Critical Reasoning
Recommended books – A Modern Approach To Verbal and Non-verbal Reasoning
– Numeric Ability Syllabus
- Numeric Computation
- Numeric Estimation
- Numeric Reasoning
- Data Interpretation
Recommended books – Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Exams
(B). For the Engineering Mathematics section, the syllabus is-
- Linear Algebra
- Discrete Mathematics
Recommended books – Higher Engineering Mathematics
GATE 2019 Syllabus For CSE
The GATE Exam 2019 syllabus for Computer Science Engineering students is very thorough and tests your general understanding of the subject. The syllabus for the exam is
- Programming and Data Structures – Recursive Programs, Trees, Trees and Graphs, Queues Tress, Stacks, Recursive Functions, Pointers.
- Algorithms – Heap Tress, Algorithm Analysis, Greedy Algorithm, Dynamic Programming Algorithm, Sorting and Graph Algorithm, Searching and Sorting Algorithm, Divide and Conquer.
- Digital Logic – Combination Circuits, Minimization Circuits, Sequential Circuits, Number System, Minimization and Counters, Fixed and Floating Point Registers.
- Operating Systems – Paging, Page Replacement Algorithm, CPU Scheduling Algorithms, Semaphores, Page Replacement, Deadlock, Segmentation, Disk Scheduling Algorithm.
- Computer Organization and Architecture – Cache Organization, Machine Cycles, Addressing Modes, Pipelining, I/O Data Transfer.
- Computer Network – Routing Algorithms, Application Protocols, IP Addressing, TCP and UDP, Ethernet, Encryption and Decryption Algorithms, Congestion Control.
- Database – Serializability, Normalization, Relational Algebra, SQL/SQL Queries, Transactions, Tuple Calculus.
- Theory of Computation – Regular Languages, Regular Expressions, Formal Grammars, Closure Properties, DFA, CFL and DCFL, Un-decidability, CNF.
The GATE exam 2019 will sport 65 questions and overall 100 marks. The cut-off for the exam will most likely be released along with the results of the exam.
While your coaching institute might provide you with notes and study material to prepare for the GATE Exam 2019, there is no harm in doing some extra work. And, those who are preparing on their own, you need to be aware of the best GATE Exam 2019 preparation books in the market.
To aid you in your GATE preparation journey, we have compiled a list of GATE books for CSE –
1. Operating Systems Concept – Abraham Silberschatz, Peter B. Galvin, Greg Gagne
2. Introduction to Algorithms – Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein.
3. An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata – Peter Linz
4. Data Structure Using C – Tenenbaum
5. Computer Organization and Architecture – Hamacher
6. Database System Concepts – Abraham Silberschatz, Henry F. Korth, S. Sudarshan.
7. Compilers: Principles, Technologies and Tools – Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, D. Jeffrey Ulman.
GATE Exam 2019 preparation
The formula to prepare for the GATE Exam 2019 is very simple, and that is, keep practicing. The more you practice and the more you read the better you will be and the clearer your concepts.
So, take out two to three hours every day to practice and do so without fail. Also, form a timetable according to the syllabus and stick to it.
Practice sample papers as much as you can. Also, give as many GATE Mock exams as you can manage. GATE Mock exams can really help you understand the whole preparation process, where you stand among your peers, how best you can improve and how ready you are for the actual GATE exam.
We recommend the AM-GATE Mock Test 2019 to help you take your GATE Exam 2019 preparation a notch higher and be exam ready. The AM-GATE Mock test is based completely on the pattern of the GATE exam – the setting, type of questions asked, and the number of questions.
As such, AM-GATE Mock test can be your perfect GATE preparation companion. And, more importantly, it can help you come up with your own GATE exam plan.
If you intend to just go headlong in the exam without any plan on how you want to approach the questions, which sections you want to complete first and so on, then you will lose more than you gain. Mock tests can help you figure out your game plane.
Opt for GATE mock test, keep the preparation high and go through our detailed list of GATE Exam 2019 Computer Science Engineering syllabus to kick-start your GATE exam preparation. Registrations for AM-GATE Mock Test 2019 are now open. Book Now!